Do the filters expire?
No. The filters have an unlimited shelf life as long as they are kept dry. For this reason, we always recommend purchasing a Super Value package, which offers you an additional discount on each filter.
My filter is leaking. Do you have any trouble shooting advice?
First, open the filter compartment to be sure the o-ring is properly seated in the groove. If the o-ring is in place and the filter continues to leak, apply a small amount of vegetable oil directly to the o-ring to help create a seal.
I just installed a new filter and the water tastes funny. What could be the reason?
The funny taste is most likely the result of compressed air bubbles in the filter which are released into the water when the filter is first installed. We recommend discarding the first gallon of water; subsequent gallons should be free of air bubbles.
How would I find out if my refrigerator contains a built-in filter?
For the most part, side-by-side refrigerator models contain some type of built-in water dispenser and icemaker with a filter. If your refrigerator is not side-by-side, we recommend checking in the following places for a filter:
Inside of the refrigerator - Look for a cylinder filter canister hanging down from the top of the refrigerator (filter will generally be found in the top-right corner).
Inside of the refrigerator - The filter may drop down or slide out of the ceiling compartment of the refrigerator.
Bottom of the refrigerator - The filter may be located in the front grille at the bottom of the refrigerator.
My refrigerator is old and did not come with a built-in filter. Do you sell a universal water filter that would work for my ice maker and/or water dispenser?
Yes, any of the
we carry can be used on any refrigerator to filter water for your icemaker and/or water dispenser. An inline filter can be installed by cutting the 1/4" copper/plastic water line supplying water to your fridge. The initial installation may take some time, but once installed, changing the filter is very easy. Our personal recommendations are
, as these filters offer advanced easy cartridge change-out technology.
Do the gaskets on my filter require any lubrication?
In most cases, you will not need to lubricate the gaskets for any of the water filters. However, some older Frigidaire
models do contain o-rings for which lubrication is helpful. If the filter does not come with a package of lubricant, we recommend lubricating the o-ring with a small amount of vegetable oil to aid in the filter replacement process and to prevent leaks.
How do I know when the filter is properly installed?
All of the filters will hit a stop point once they are tightly installed. As long as you install the filter by hand (without using any tools), you should feel the filter reach the stop point when it is properly installed. Most of the filters reach the stop point after only a quarter or a half turn. However, the
unit requires a firmer turn to properly seal the o-ring, so do not hesitate to turn the filter a little harder.
How can I reset the indicator light for filter change reminders?
Every manufacturer has slightly different procedures for resetting the indicator light. You will see instructions for several of the most popular brands below, but please visit the product page of the particular filter for specific instructions if you do not see your brand listed here:
- Amana - push the Auto Light and Dispenser Lock buttons on the dispenser (simultaneously) and hold for 4 seconds until you see the filter status indicator light begin to flash. Once it flashes, release the buttons. Some Amana refrigerator models may require you to push and hold the Water and Dispenser Lock buttons for 4 seconds until you see the filter status indicator light begin to flash. Then, release the buttons.
- push the reset button on the water dispenser and hold until you see the green light flash (this can take up to 15 seconds).
- GE and Hotpoint - press the Reset Water Filter button on the dispenser and hold for 3 seconds.
- push the Lock and Light buttons on the dispenser (or Lock and Water on newer models) and hold for 4 seconds until you see the indicator light blink.
- KitchenAid and Whirlpool- push and release the light switch a total of 5 times within 10 seconds. If you see a Filter button on the refrigerator, push and hold this button for 5-10 seconds.
- LG - push the Reset button and hold it for 3 seconds.
- Samsung - push the Child Lock and Ice Type buttons at the same time and hold for 3 seconds. (Do not hold the buttons longer than 3 seconds. If the two buttons are held simultaneously for 5 seconds, the reset function will stop. In this case, let go of the buttons and repeat the procedure once more. The water filter indicator light will change to green.)
Do you offer the colored plastic end cap for the filter in my refrigerator grille?
This cap covers the end of the filters found in the base grilles of some Whirlpool
, and Kenmore
refrigerator models. These caps are available and may be purchased on our refrigerator parts
Do you carry Kenmore refrigerator water filters?
refrigerator water filters
are manufactured by Amana, Frigidaire, GE SmartWater, LG, Maytag, or Whirlpool. Please visit our Kenmore page for a cross-reference chart. You may also find your Kenmore filter by searching for the
refrigerator model number
filter part number